Belle Provence Travels

A South of France Blog

Happy 2012 friends and readers.  Since we spent most of our holiday indulging in many of the things that make France so special (mainly food, drink, & more food) I thought it would be fun to start off the new year with a list of a few things I find totally awesome about France.

Please note:  of course there are many quirky & downright irksome things about la belle France (namely, anything having to do with the subjunctive tense), but I’ll save those for another, less-festive post.

Alors, here are 20 of my favorite things about my adopted home:

-Strangers who say « Bon appétit » as they pass your sidewalk table.

-Visiting Provençal villages in the springtime.

-Toddlers speaking French (TCFW, too cute for words).

Paris Christmas markets.

-The cheese aisle at the supermarket.

-The flower market at Vieux Nice.

b1

Vineyards near Cassis, France.

-Do-It-Yourself wine touring.

-Passing pastry windows that look like works of art.

-Eating pastries that look like works of art.

-Regional food festivals.

-Social services.

-Traveling on the TGV (*first-class if possible).

-Cours Mirabeau at Aix-en-Provence.

-Sunny days in Paris.

-Calling your mother-in-law belle mere.

-Eating a big bowl of Soup au Pistou in the fall/winter.

-Drinking a big glass of rosé, port-side, in the summer.

-The Calanques at Cassis.

-Growing old gracefully.

-Caramel beurre salé anything.

There are loads of totally awesome things missing from this list – please feel free to add a few of your own & bonne année a tous!

14 thoughts on “20 Totally Awesome Things About France

1. Michel says:

Happy New Year Tuula! That’s a good list! I can’t speak to social services but the rest looks pretty good! I hope you have a fabulous 2012.

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks Michel, there’s so much to love about France, glad you liked my list 🙂 Happy New Year to you!

2. Ajeyarao says:

Bonne Annee! I am studying french and someday would love to be there. Your experiences will help me know the country. thanks. My blog – http://www.thehourssofar.blogspot.com

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for stopping by, much luck with your French studies!

3. Anonymous says:

Too true Jenny…how could we forget champagne, especially ’round this time of year 🙂 Hope your 2012 is off to a great start, bonne annèe!

4. Tuula – You are so right about everything on this list! Each brought a smile to my face. With the exception of just a few, like the belle mere ;), I have my own great memories of almost all on your list, and they would be included on my list, too. This inspires me to start saying “bon appetit” as I pass by diners here in CA. Happy 2012 to you, too!

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks Kathy, really happy you liked the list – I imagine we love many of the same things about France 🙂 And also because about half of the things have to do with food! So I too say “bon appetit” to you in 2012… can’t wait to read about all of your new food adventures. Bonne année!

5. I agree! I agree! Toddlers speaking French are waaaaaay too cute!! Time to get my kids in French class!! (Next year, she’ll start her French Immersion Program with the Toronto District School Board. woo-hoo!

1. Anonymous says:

So happy you agree Jen, thought maybe I was the only one, lol – those French kids are so cute, can’t get over it! How awesome that you’ve got a French immersion program… your daughter will be totally adorable speaking French, how fun!!

6. This is making me nostalgic for France… I love love those tins. I have 2 posters framed of the same vintage!

1. Anonymous says:

Totally agree, those tins are too fun – I need to buy a few of those posters myself… so hard to choose though, I love them all! Many merci’s for your comment Corinne!

7. Anonymous says:

Many thanks for your comment – glad to bring a bit of France to you in Australia 🙂 I can imagine that you miss it very much! But also sounds like you’re having a very fun life yourself, so much traveling is wonderful 🙂 Will be sure to have a look at your blog… & Salut from Provence!

8. Couldn’t agree more… dreamy! I must add: moules frites, socca, fruit, aperitifs, four hour lunch.

1. Anonymous says:

Ohh, those are all great additions…you’re right, looks like I missed a few…especially those 4 hour lunches, I think that one should go to the top of the list 🙂